Friday, February 8, 2013

Under Graduate - British Coloumbia Essay 1



1.Tell us about an experience, in school or out, that caused you to rethink or change your perspective. What impact has this had on you?

Earlier, I was a person who would eagerly take part in all activities that I excelled in but stay away from those that I could not make a mark in. But my father’s advice and the subsequent changes it brought in me changed my perception to many things in life. One of these was Table Tennis. Though I loved all types of sports, Table Tennis, Badminton and Tennis was dearer to me than most others. I used to play with my friends and in school teams. I never took the extra effort of practising it daily or enrolling for coaching classes. I did pursue normal Tennis and Badminton classes more so because some of my friends were also taking those classes. I thought I played quiet well – this feeling lasted till I realised I was not winning a single game for myself or for my school. My contribution to the team was also not noteworthy.
I asked myself a question – “Are you happy being nowhere with Table Tennis”? As an answer I remembered what my father always used to tell me. He would often say that the elevator to success is always out of order. We all have to climb the stairs. The harder we try and climb, the higher we reach. So I tried harder. I enrolled in professional training for Table Tennis.
I started practising daily in the sports complex of my building. My ‘smashing’ technique improved with each passing day. I started taking part in inter-school competitions. I not only trained to play well but also learnt to handle stress and pressure. Numerous participation and several lost matches made me stronger and developed my mental agility. By the time I entered 10th grade, I started winning a few games.
This prompted me to take part in inter-school competitions. Now this was a much bigger arena with new talents to tackle. The exposure helped me to constantly train myself to be a better player than what I was a day before. I developed newer techniques, observed other players and picked up valuable tips from their styles. Professional training helped me considerably.
Our school won the best school team prize in the year XXXX and I was overjoyed. This time, I was proud of my contribution to the school’s success. My journey as a non-descript player to a winning team member taught me valuable principles of life such as a desire to learn, withstand pressure, accept failures and a lot more. And I believe these learning will be a part of my development all through my life.
Due to my father’s advice, my perception to the game changed. The change permeated into all spheres of my life. I no longer believe that I lack knowledge or skill. If I am underperforming, I take all measures to upgrade my skill sets.

1 comment:

  1. A professional piece of writing written language service can provide an outsized range of written language and proofreading services specific to your needs and comments. See more mba statement of purpose example

    ReplyDelete