Friday, February 8, 2013

Under Graduate - British Columbia Essay 2



2. Explain how you responded to a significant challenge that you have encountered and what you learned in the process.


I am a very good basketball player and my team had great hopes on me for a recently held inter house basketball competition in school. I was the only player in my house who could play well. With only two weeks prior notice, all the teams were practising rigorously. Unfortunately, I had a horrible accident when I was practising and I ended up twisting my ankle very badly. With only a week left for the competition, our team’s chances to win were pretty grim.

I had no idea as to how I was going to recover from such a grave injury. I tried practising two days later, but couldn’t as I was in too much pain. So on the day of the competition, I wasn’t really feeling up for the challenge. Yet, I joined the game with an ankle strap firmly holding my injury in place. This was a challenge I was determined to overcome.

Initially as the game started, my foot hurt. Then as the game got intense I learnt to ignore the pain and just play. Eventually, I got into a rhythm and started scoring baskets. I ended up scoring the most points in the game. I was extremely proud of myself, that even after an injury I was able to play for my team and win for them. The lesson I learnt here is that grit and determination alone can lead one to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment