Friday, February 8, 2013

Under Graduate - University of Berkeley - Essay 1



PROMPT #1: Describe the world you come from—for example, your family, community or school—and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

431 words
My parents, my teachers and the city I live in, has shaped me to be the individual I am. I grew up in an environment where my parents encouraged me to get involved in extracurricular activities along with my studies. They always said to me, “We want to see you as a complete individual”. Their advice has permeated a desire in me to pursue a career where work would not seem like work but would be an extension of my personality and my ambitions. I always found support within my school, family and friends circle for all my endeavours.

However, my greatest inspiration while choosing my career was my grandfather. He had a passion for luxury cars and had a great collection of them. He used to import cars from different countries and customize them for car lovers. I closely watched him work and concluded that the career choice I make should be in consensus with my passion. My love for machines, my understanding of the processes of the mechanisms in any vehicle or gadget has encouraged me to pursue my dream of being a mechanical engineer and design eco-friendly cars. I desire to provide a solution to the congested traffic system most cities face. Living in a city like Mumbai I have seen traffic jams, pollutions and the resultant effect it has on the environment. Cars emit harmful gases like carbon monoxide. Hence I want to make a career in the field of automobiles and come up with designs that curb pollution and help my city and the world in general.

My city Mumbai, have exposed me to different elements of life and has shaped me to be the individual I am. My determination to excel and succeed also stems from my upbringing. My parents have exhibited immense determination and courage in the lives they lead. I am being educated in one of the best schools in Mumbai due to their efforts. I am very lucky to be in a situation where my parents support my decision to pursue a mechanical engineering course abroad. I would like to make full use of the opportunities I have and work determinedly to fulfil the faith my parents, teachers and friends have placed in me.
My long term goal is to become a successful individual and prove my mettle in the world of mechanical engineering. As I walk on the path to success, I shall forever endure the guidelines my parents have inculcated in me – be successful but not at the cost of losing human values such as honesty, politeness, kindness and selflessness.


No comments:

Post a Comment