Friday, February 8, 2013

Under Graduate - Michigan Essay 3



3. Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)

India is a land of cultural diversity and I have grown up with friends and neighbours belonging to different communities. In a cosmopolitan city like Mumbai, which is where I live, it’s difficult to stick to the ways of my original community.

I am a Hindu by religion and my community is based in Bangalore, India. Our staple food is rice. We celebrate many festivals all throughout the year. However, as I have been brought up in Mumbai which is known for its diversity and mixed culture, I am now a person who has acquainted himself with all kinds of people from different religions. I celebrate festivals which Hindus do not. For example, I celebrate Christmas every year.

Also, although my staple food is rice, I prefer wheat and corn over rice. Hence I am different in many ways from most people in my community. In my family, mostly everyone is an entrepreneur. There are some who belong to the service sector. But the main characteristic is that everyone is hard working and determined. I believe I have imbibed these characteristics from them. My hometown Bangalore is idyllic whereas the city I live in, Mumbai is quiet a riot. I am equally at home in both these places. I love the solitude, I love the bustle. I am a completely cosmopolitan citizen of India and the values I have inherited, irrespective of where I get it from,  are mostly those that will help me become a respected individual.

1 comment:

  1. If your experience is different, please feel free towards the statement of purpose writing services so It contained my academic history; a plus was non academic activities.

    ReplyDelete