Friday, February 8, 2013

Under Graduate - British Columbia Essay 3



3. Tell us more about one of the activities you listed above, explaining what your goals were, what you did to pursue them, the results achieved, and what you learned in the process.

I remain concerned about ecological effects of pollutants in air, water and soil environments. Ganesh Chaturthi is a Hindu festival, where devotees of Lord Ganesha worship a clay idol for 10 days and then immerse it in rivers or seas. This annual festival leaves huge residue of debris on the river banks and beaches. I regularly volunteer for a beach cleanup organized by the Alpha Leo Club in Mumbai.
My goal is to see a cleaner city and make people aware of the harms caused by their careless behaviour. As my school was also involved with Alpha, my classmates and I formed a group and cleaned certain block on the beach. After a few hours of hard work, everyone was pleased to see the beautiful patch on the beach. Lots of regular visitors also appreciated our efforts and said that they will follow our ‘Keep The Environment Clean policy’ and make it a part of their daily lives.
What I have learned in the process is that a lot of people have the desire but lack the motivation to purse what is right. Timely intervention from activities like the one we did will actually help achieve results for the betterment of Mother Earth.  I plan to continue such activities and help save the environment as long as it is required.

No comments:

Post a Comment